Accessing free treatment
There are a number of different ways you might be able to access free treatment for mental unwellness.
- If your GP is part of the ProCare PHO, you may be eligible for funded GP mental healthcare AND access to 4-6 sessions of psychological intervention (and in some instances funded psychiatric review if indicated).
- As of 2009, all PHOs have funded primary mental health programmes, so for most people your GP practice will have funding – though how the funding is used will differ, and some programmes tend to refer mainly to counsellors rather than psychologists or psychotherapists.
- If you use WINZ, you may be eligible for 10 free counselling sessions! Talk to your case manager.
- If you are in paid employment, you may be able to access free counselling through your company’s Employee Assistance Programme. For more info visit www.eapservices.co.nz or talk to your employer.
- If you have experienced sexual abuse or assault you may be eligible for ACC support to pay for therapy with a clinical psychologist or psychotherapist. Ask your GP doctor about making a Sensitive Claim.
- If you talk to your doctor you may also be able to get access to a Key Worker. A key worker is someone who checks in on you and provides additional support.